Application to Candidacy

The Application to Candidacy (ATC) is filed to indicate that you are entering the final stages of degree completion and that you wish to be considered a candidate for a specific degree conferral date.

On this page:

Who should file an ATC?

All PhD students, students pursuing an AuD or DNP, and master’s students in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Who does not file an ATC?

Students pursuing master’s degrees or advanced certificates in the following schools: School of Architecture and Planning, School of Dental Medicine, Graduate School of Education, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, School of Management, School of Nursing, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health and Health Professions, School of Social Work, and the Roswell Park Graduate Division. These students must “apply for graduation” in the HUB Student Center (via MyUB). Apply for graduation in HUB. Please visit the Apply for Graduation in Hub web page for instructions on how to apply for graduation in HUB.


Master's students signify their intention to graduate by submitting an ATC to the Graduate School (or applying for graduation in HUB, see above) prior to the start of their final semester. Typically, doctoral students file an ATC after approximately six semesters of full-time enrollment toward the doctoral degree or once they have successfully passed their preliminary or qualifying exam.

For degree conferral on:

Feb. 1, 2020 June 1, 2020 Sept. 1, 2020

Application to candidacy due:

Oct. 1, 2019 March 1, 2020 July 1, 2020

All required conferral materials due:

Jan. 17, 2020 May 15, 2020 Aug. 14, 2020

Amending the ATC

Changes to the ATC (e.g., changing expected degree conferral date, changing future registration, or changing advisors or committee members) are formalized through the Change Expected Conferral Date/Amend ATC form available on the Forms for Students page. This form must be endorsed by the director of graduate studies or chair of the student's department. These amendments are then reviewed by the Graduate School.

After You've Been Admitted to Candidacy

Once you've been admitted to candidacy, you may not need to enroll for 12 credits (nine credits for graduate, teaching and research assistants) to be certified as a full-time student. Please consult with your department's graduate coordinator to see if you qualify for certification of full-time status.