Application to Candidacy

To become a candidate for an advanced degree you must submit an Application to Candidacy (ATC), for departmental and Graduate School approval.

On this page:

Who should file an ATC?

The ATC is required to officially become a candidate for conferral of the following graduate degrees:
AuD, BA/MA, BS/ME, BS/MS, DNP, MA, MArch, ME, MFA, MM, MPH, MS, MUP and PhD.


You should expect to file an ATC with the Graduate School after two to three semesters of full-time enrollment toward the master's degree or after six semesters of full-time enrollment toward the doctoral degree.

It is imperative that you file the ATC by the specified deadlines; committees cannot receive ATC's immediately prior to the expected graduation date. If/when your ATC is approved by the Graduate School, written notification of the approval will be mailed to you, using your name and address information, on file in HUB.

For information on how to change your name or address in HUB, please see the Graduate School's Change of Name or Address policy.

For degree conferral on:

June 1, 2018
September 1, 2018
February 1, 2019

Application to candidacy due:

March 1, 2018 July 1, 2018 October 1, 2018

All required conferral materials due:

May 18, 2018 August 10, 2018 January 18, 2019  

The above dates are subject to change. You are advised to check with your department one semester prior to the deadline date listed above, for up-to-date information.

It is the student's responsibility to check with the Graduate School at 716-645-2939 prior to the deadline dates, to be sure all the requirements and paperwork for your degree have been completed.

Amending the ATC

Minor amendments to the ATC, which become necessary through changes in registration (e.g., adding or deleting anticipated courses or credits,) must be formalized through the Change Expected Conferral Date/Amend ATC form available on the Forms for Students page. This form must be endorsed by the director of graduate studies or chair of the student's department. These amendments are then reviewed by the Graduate School.

After You've Been Admitted to Candidacy

Once you've been admitted to candidacy, you may not need to enroll for 12 credits (nine credits for graduate, teaching and research assistants) to be certified as a full-time student. Please consult with your department's graduate coordinator to see if you qualify for certification of full-time status.