BUFFALO, N.Y. — The University at Buffalo again was well-represented among winners of the 2015 SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence, with seven faculty members, two librarians and 11 staff members being honored for outstanding achievement.
The 20 UB recipients match last year’s number, which was the most in recent memory.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities recognizes the work of those who engage actively in scholarly and creative pursuits beyond their teaching responsibilities. UB’s 2015 recipients are:
- Stella Batalama, professor and chair, Department of Electrical Engineering;
- Ralph Benedict, professor, Department of Neurology;
- Ann Bisantz, professor and chair, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering; and
- Sriram Neelamegham, professor, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching honors those who consistently demonstrate superb teaching at the undergraduate, graduate or professional level. UB’s 2015 recipients are:
- Peter Bradford, associate professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology;
- Steven Miller, associate professor, Department of English; and
- Mary Nell Trautner, associate professor, Department of Sociology.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service honors professional staff performance excellence both within and beyond the position. UB’s 2015 recipients are:
- Beth A. Corry, associate vice president and controller, University Business Services;
- Elaine R. Cusker, associate dean for academic affairs and undergraduate education, Division of Academic Affairs, Office of the Provost;
- John DellaContrada, associate vice president for media relations and stakeholder communications, University Communications;
- Valerie Frerichs, associate laboratory director, Department of Chemistry;
- Jacqueline Molik Ghosen, assistant dean and director of communications, School of Management;
- Krista L. Hanypsiak, director of general education;
- Kevin Leary, assistant to the director, Arts Management Program; and
- Patricia Shyhalla, associate vice provost for resource management, International Education.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Librarianship recognizes skill in librarianship; service to the campus, the university and to the field; scholarship and professional growth; and major professional achievements. UB’s 2015 recipients are:
- Theodora Belniak, associate librarian, Charles B. Sears Law Library, and
- Michelle Zafron, associate librarian, Health Sciences Library.
The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Classified Service recognizes classified staff members who have consistently demonstrated superlative performance within and beyond their position. UB’s 2015 recipients are:
- Vickie Searight, undergraduate secretary, Department of Biological Sciences;
- Deborah Szurgyi, clerk 2, Department of Oral Biology; and
- Paul Wilcox, maintenance supervisor, UB Anderson Gallery.
For full biographies and photographs of all recipients, visit http://bit.ly/1JWH7qy.