Release Date: October 13, 1997
BUFFALO, N.Y.-- A performance by comedian and MTV personality Bill Bellamy, a mini-parade in UB Stadium and, of course, a football game matching the UB Bulls against the Hofstra Flying Dutchmen will highlight the University at Buffalo’s family and Homecoming weekend slated for Oct. 24-26.
The weekend events will include the announcement of the winning entry in the “Name the Bull” mascot contest, the crowning of a homecoming king and queen, and bonfire and carnival on the shores of Lake LaSalle.
Also scheduled are lectures, a tour of UB's old-time apothecary, concerts, a kid-oriented haunted castle “bounce house” at UB Stadium, as well as prizes and contests.
Bellamy, who prides himself on being a stand-up comic who entertains his audiences without resorting to vulgarity, will perform at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25, in Alumni Arena on the North (Amherst) Campus.
Special guests will be The Buffalo Chips and the UB Step Troupe.
The performance, presented by UB's Office of Student Life, will be sponsored by the Student Association and the University Union Activities Board.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit UB's SEFA (United Way) campaign.
Tickets, which are $12 in advance and $14 at the door, are available through all Ticketmaster locations, Doris Records and 221 Student Union on the North Campus, and by phone at 716-852-5000. UB students will receive a $2 discount.
An admirer of Bill Cosby and a 1988 economics graduate of Rutgers University, Bellamy is known as host of “MTV Jams,” as well as for appearances on HBO's “Def Comedy Jam,” “The Arsenio Hall Show” and in comedy clubs and televised specials.
Events scheduled for Friday, Oct. 24, include:
• Student Association Homecoming carnival and bonfire, 6 p.m. to midnight, shore of Lake LaSalle adjacent to the UB Bookstore, North Campus
• Performance by the Zodiaque Dance Co., presented by the Department of Theatre and Dance, 8 p.m., Center for the Arts Drama Theatre, North Campus
Events set for Saturday, Oct. 25, include:
• Lecture entitled "Are You a Smart Shopper," by Arun Jain, Ph.D., Samuel P. Capen Professor and chair of the UB Department of Marketing, 11-11:50 a.m., Student Union Theatre, North Campus
• Tours of the UB pharmacy museum and apothecary, the Center for the Arts and the UB earthquake-simulating shake table in Ketter Hall.
• UB Bulls vs. Hofstra Flying Dutchmen, 1:30 p.m., UB Stadium, North Campus; half-time parade featuring student various clubs and organizations, and the crowning of the Homecoming king and queen
Events scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 26, include a farewell brunch from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Pistachio’s in the Student Union on the North Campus and a soccer match pitting the UB Bulls against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils at 1 p.m. on the soccer field behind the UB Stadium scoreboard.