Immigration & International Arrival Information

On this page:

International Student and Scholar Services

Our International Student and Scholar Services office provides the services and support to welcome you to your new home at UB.

Our friendly staff members — including many international students — speak your language and can help address your immigration concerns, help you prepare for your trip to Buffalo and can even answer questions about paying for your education. We will also help introduce you to all the Buffalo-Niagara region has to offer, from major attractions to its vibrant arts and cultural scene.

Your U.S. Visa

You’ve made it through the first big step and have been accepted to UB! However, before you can enter the United States from outside the country, you must apply for a U.S visa.

To come to the United States to study, you will need to apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Most international students come to the U.S. on F-1 visas, while some come on J-1 visas. However, there are some other visa categories that permit studying (e.g., H-1B, H-4, L-2, E-2, etc.).

Your visa category will determine many aspects of your life in the U.S. (e.g., your studies, employment, vacation, travel). While most students will have to follow F-1 immigration regulations, some will follow other regulations.

If you are already in the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student, it may be possible to transfer your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record from your current school to UB.

International Student Orientation

Attending International Student Orientation will prepare you for a successful transition to UB. You will benefit from one of the most comprehensive International Student Orientation programs in the U.S.

At our International Student Orientation program, you will be able to receive your:

  • UB Identification Card.
  • UB single-use password and email account.

You will also receive information on obtaining a:

  • Bank account.
  • Cell phone account.
  • Social Security card (can apply, if eligible).
  • Driver’s license (can apply).

During Orientation, you can officially enroll as a UB student by completing the following tasks:

  • Take TOEFL and/or SPEAK tests (if required).
  • Submit health background and immunizations form.
  • Receive required immunizations (if not completed before arrival).
  • Attend immigration and University Police sessions.
  • Meet with an academic advisor.
  • Register for classes.

You also will learn about these university resources and services:

  • Academic advisement
  • Computing
  • Libraries
  • Meal plans
  • On-campus jobs
  • Health, wellness and counseling
  • Recreation
  • Transportation
  • Campus safety

And you will learn tips to avoid such problems as:

  • Internet scams.
  • House fires.
  • Substandard off-campus housing.
  • Violating your immigration status.

There’s much more you can explore during Orientation! You can receive study tips from professors, learn how to use your health insurance, find out about cultural differences, meet International Student Club representatives, join a shopping trip and more.


International Student and Scholar Services has the information you need to successfully plan your travel to the U.S. and your arrival here in Buffalo. Below is a list of just some of the topics covered on their website:

  • Visa delays and late arrival to campus.
  • Housing options and settling into your new home.
  • Orientation and submitting health forms.
  • Course registration and paying your tuition bill.
  • Receiving your UB ID card and UBit login and password.
  • Opportunities for employment and obtaining a Social Security Card.