University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Admissions FAQs

Find answers regarding...


How do I submit an application?

All applications should be completed and submitted online. Visit our How to Apply page to learn how to get started.

I started an application as the wrong applicant type. How can I change this?

Be sure to review Steps 1-3 of our How to Apply page to determine your applicant type before you begin any application. If you accidentally started an application as the wrong applicant type, your department can change this for you. Contact information can be found on our list of academic programs and students who need their application type changed should contact their department as soon as possible to have this corrected.

How do I find out the status of my application? How do I find out if all my supporting documents have been received?

After your application has been submitted for formal review, you can view your application status along with your supporting documents online by logging back in to your UB application. Professional/special applicants may have to log in to their national application to check their status. 

If you are unsure if your application is complete, or have questions about what materials may be required, you should contact your program of interest directly.

I forgot my application Username and PIN. How can I log back into a saved application?

You can retrieve your Username and PIN/Password here. An email-address is required. If you continue to experience issues, feel free to call us at 716-645-3482 or email for assistance.

Can I make changes to my application after it is submitted?

No. Once your application has been submitted for formal review, you are no longer able to make any changes to the application form. Please contact your program of interest directly if any information needs to be added or changed and that department/program will be able to assist you. In most cases, you will still be able to upload supplemental materials after your application form has been formally submitted.

Can I apply to more than one graduate/professional program?

Yes, you may simultaneously apply to as many programs as you wish. Each application will require a separate form, set of credentials and application fee. Be sure to read the instructions for each application carefully.

Can I apply for admission to two different degree programs within the same department?

You may apply to only one degree at a time within the same department. For example, you may not apply to the MA and the PhD programs in a given department at the same time. You must apply and be considered for one or the other. If you are uncertain about which degree program best fits your needs, please discuss this with the graduate program director in your program of interest prior to applying. Contact information for each program can be found on our list of Academic Programs

What are the University at Buffalo’s application deadlines?

Deadlines are different for each program and applicants should reach out to programs directly for details. Contact information for each program can be found on our list of Academic Programs. Please apply as early as possible to be sure you get appropriate consideration for scholarships, assistantships and fellowships. International applicants should remember that sufficient time is required to secure an I-20 or DS-2019, so early application is strongly recommended.

Where do I send application materials?

At the graduate and professional level, admission is a decentralized process at the University at Buffalo. This means the admissions process is handled directly by the department/program to which you are applying; they receive and process all admission materials. In most cases, supplemental application materials can be uploaded directly to your online application. However, if the program you're applying to requires items to be mailed, select your program from our list of Academic Programs for a specific address.

Application materials should be submitted electronically through our online application portal.  If original paper documents have been requested they should be sent directly to the department/program that you have applied to. There is no central admissions office for graduate and professional applications. Department mailing addresses and other contact information can be found on our list of Academic Programs.

I received an offer from a department but I want to defer my acceptance, how do I do that?

You are eligible to defer an acceptance offer from the same department for up to one academic year without penalty. Likely, you will need to review some basic information and resubmit your application online. Admission deferrals beyond one academic year require a new application, which will have to be re-reviewed by the admissions committee.

Do I need a new application to reapply to the same program?

For most degree programs, you can reapply for any reason – including being denied the first time and deciding not to enroll – by sending a new application fee, an updated personal statement and an additional letter of recommendation. Keep in mind that programs change degree requirements periodically. Make sure you still qualify for the program each time you apply. Some programs have more (or fewer) requirements. Also, admission departments normally retain applications for one year; if you reapply after that time, you may need to submit additional materials and another application fee. Please check with the department/program of interest for further details.

What if I am having technical problem with filling out my application online?

If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management Services at or 716-645-3482.

Paying Your Application Fee

Where can I find application fee information for programs?

All applicants are required by the State University of New York (SUNY) to pay an application fee. Application fee payment amounts vary by program and are available on our list of Academic Programs and within the online application to which you are applying. Review Step 5 on our How to Apply page for more information about paying your application fee(s).

Can I get the application fee waived?

In general, waivers of graduate application fees are not granted. Categorical exceptions are made only for those applicants who provide sufficient documentation of their participation as an undergraduate student in an EOP, HEOP or SEEK program within New York State (only), or as an undergraduate participant in the CSTEP, MARC, PREP, RISE, LSAMP or McNair Scholars programs on any campus, or as an applicant through Project 1000.

An appeal for a deferral (not a waiver) of the application fee can be made by applicants who provide documentation of their receipt of a GRE Fee Waiver. In all other cases, a deferral (not a waiver) will be considered by the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management Services only in extraordinary instances of financial hardship and then only with clear documentation from an appropriate official at an institution of higher education certifying this financial need. Please note that self-declaration of need by an applicant or mere eligibility for student financial aid (loans) is not adequate justification. For more information, applicants should consult the department in which they are applying to graduate study.

If you fall into one of these categories please contact your program of interest to request an application fee waiver to be submitted on your behalf. In all cases, you will need to provide official supporting documentation.

Can I pay my application fee online?

Yes. A non-refundable application fee will be charged for each application you submit for formal review. Acceptable forms of application fee payment include: eChecks, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Debit cards with Visa or MasterCard logos are also accepted.

I have submitted my application and now want to pay my application fee with a credit card or electronic check. Is that possible?

Yes, if you have not done so, please refer to the post-submission email for the payment (ePay) link for your program. If you have misplaced this message, contact your program of interest. They can resend the link to you.

I cannot remember which email address I used when I filled out my online application so I am unable to retrieve Username and PIN/Password to log in. What should I do?

Contact the Office of Graduate Enrollment Management Services at or call 716-645-3482. After verifying security information, they will be able to provide you with your login information.

General Admissions Questions

What are UB's admission requirements?

Admission requirements vary by graduate program. In general, a B average or 3.0 Undergraduate Grade Point Average is expected, with appropriate standardized test scores if required (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc.) and letters of recommendation. For some programs, an internship or relevant work experience strengthens the application. See General Admissions Requirements.

Language Requirement

International applicants must demonstrate their English language proficiency. A minimum score of 79 is required on the Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) to be considered for university admission but individual programs and departments may require higher scores. Other tests are also accepted.

Can I take a graduate course without entering a degree program?

Yes, in many programs you may enroll for up to 12 credits on a non-degree seeking basis. Credits earned as a non-degree seeking student may be eligible for future use in a graduate degree program, at the discretion of the department. For course availability, contact the academic department/program. A non-refundable application fee is required.

Do I need to send transcripts from all institutions I attended?

Official transcripts are not required while applying, they are only requested after you receive an offer of admission. If you have received an offer of admission, UB only requires proof of your conferred bachelor's degree from the institution that awarded it.

If you are a domestic student and you intend to enroll at UB, official transcripts should be submitted to your department directly. 

Please do not send official transcripts prior to being offered admission and deciding on whether or not to enroll at UB.

International Students

You will receive specific instructions on what official (original) documents you must bring with you to UB after you have been admitted.

Do not mail official documents to UB unless specifically requested to do so.

Do you have an online recommendation system?

Yes, most UB graduate applications offer an online recommendation system. Information for your recommenders is provided on your application along with an electronic waiver statement. Once you submit your application, a request is sent out asking your recommenders to submit a letter on your behalf electronically. Your letters are uploaded automatically to your application and marked off your checklist as they are completed. All application items can be managed through our student portal system on the status tab.

One of my recommenders did not receive the recommendation link. Is it possible to resend it?

Yes. You should be able to resend requests for Letters of Recommendation on the Status tab of most UB applications. There is no limit on the number of times you can resend these requests.

If a recommender's email address is incorrect on your application, you will need to contact the department directly to correct this. Applicants cannot change any information on their applications after they have been formally submitted.

What is the minimum GRE/TOEFL score I need to be admitted?

This information varies by program. Please visit the website for your department of interest for program-specific admissions information.

Language Requirement

International applicants must demonstrate their English language proficiency. A minimum score of 79 is required on the Internet-Based TOEFL (IBT) to be considered for university admission but individual programs and departments may require higher scores. Other tests are also accepted.

Where can I find out if my department requires the GRE or another test?

All doctoral programs require a standardized test score as part of the admissions process. Test scores are valid for a five-year period. Please check with your master's program to see if they require a standardized test, as this is not mandatory for all masters programs. Test requirements can also be found on our list of Academic Programs.

Where do I send my GRE or TOEFL scores?

Official electronic GRE and TOEFL scores received from Educational Testing Service (ETS) will be automatically linked to your online application. Please note that for computer-based testing, score reports are sent approximately 10-15 calendar days after the test date. Only electronic scores that you request to be sent to the University at Buffalo (institution code: 2925) can be linked to your online application.

See Step 6 of our How to Apply page for more information.

What role do standardized tests play in the admissions process?

Like all admission requirements, the emphasis placed on standardized test scores varies by graduate degree program. A good score on the test will certainly improve your chance for admission, so we recommend that you prepare for the test well in advance and consider test preparation assistance including review guides, software and in-person classes.

What is the cost of tuition to attend graduate school at UB?

Graduate education at UB remains extremely affordable. The cost of tuition is less than many of our peers and the Buffalo region offers a comparatively low cost of living. At UB, tuition cost depends on the program of interest, and varies across disciplines such as Medicine, MBA, PBMA, EMBA, Dental, Law, PharmD, DPT and DNP.

What are fellowships and assistantships?

Fellowships are scholarships awarded to the most talented applicants to graduate programs at UB. These awards vary in amount depending on the degree program and the particular fellowship offered. A full tuition scholarship generally accompanies a fellowship. Work is usually not required in return for a fellowship, but students are expected to achieve a high level of academic performance.

Assistantships require that the student work approximately 20 hours per week doing administrative work, conducting research, or teaching in exchange for a stipend and a full or partial tuition scholarship. A number of departments at UB also offer incoming graduate students smaller scholarships – from $500 to $2,500 – in recognition of their prior achievements and in expectation of the contribution they will make while graduate students on our campus.

Learn more about graduate fellowships and scholarships.